What is an independent blogger?
An independent blogger is someone who is responsible for all aspects of their blog, including creating and curating content, marketing, and gaining new followers. While most bloggers work in collaboration with a brand, an independent blogger has complete control over how their blog operates and who they partner with. While blogging has become increasingly popular as a side hustle or extra income, the term “independent blogger” refers to bloggers who are not being paid by a company and instead are building their blog as a business, with the intention of making it profitable. Independent bloggers are able to create a unique brand and content strategy all their own, bringing an authentic and personal perspective to their readers that a sponsored post from a brand would not be able to.
Benefits of becoming an independent blogger
- Flexibility and freedom: You can work whenever you want, wherever you want. There is no boss or manager to report to, and you set the rules of the game.
- Creative control: You are in charge of your blog and can create the type of content you want to produce. You have the freedom to choose any topics, themes, and categories that interest you. There is no pressure to cover topics that don’t interest you.
- Building a strong brand: When you create a blog that is all your own, you have the chance to create a strong brand for yourself. You can build a strong following and an engaged community of followers who enjoy your content.
- Increased earning potential: When you are an independent blogger and not blogging for a company, you can charge higher rates for your services.
- Networking opportunities: You have the chance to meet other bloggers who are interested in your niche and make valuable connections.
How to become an independent blogger
- Research your niche: Before you jump into the world of blogging, it is important to do your research. You will want to make sure that you are blogging about a topic or a niche that is relevant, current, and that people are interested in.
- Create a blogging schedule: It is important to create a blogging schedule that works for you and your lifestyle. This means making blogging part of your daily routine and making it a priority.
- Build a strong network: You will want to build a strong network of other bloggers, brands, and people interested in your niche. This includes joining relevant communities and making connections with other bloggers.
- Build a portfolio of work: Make sure to build a portfolio of your work. This includes creating a blog that is both appealing and easy to navigate.
- Stay consistent: Blogging is a long-term game, and it can take time to truly get your blog off the ground. It is important to stay consistent and to keep growing your blog over time.
Digital tools for independent bloggers
- Blogging Platform: A blogging platform is where you will actually create and publish your blog posts. There are a number of blogging platforms that are designed to make blogging easy and efficient, including WordPress, Medium, and Squarespace.
- Content Management System: A content management system (or CMS) is a platform that lets you manage all aspects of your blog content. You can create different pages on your blog and manage your blog calendar.
- Analytics and tracking: You want to make sure that you are tracking your blog and its success. You can use Google Analytics and other tracking tools to measure your blog’s performance and to see how many people are reading your posts.
- Guest blogging: Guest blogging is when you write a blog post on another person’s blog. Blogging platforms have features that make guest blogging easy, allowing you to create content on other blogs without having your own blog.
- Social media: Social media is an important aspect of blogging and is useful for growing your blog and gaining new followers. You can use social media to engage with your readers and to promote your blog posts.
- WordPress themes and plugins: WordPress themes and plugins are tools that allow you to customize your blog. They allow you to create a beautiful blog and to edit the content.
Creating engaging content
One of the most important aspects of blogging is creating engaging content. You will want to create content that is not only visually appealing but also that is interesting and relevant to your readers. You can do this by creating different types of posts on your blog, including:
- Blog posts: This is the most common type of post on a blog and is usually written in paragraph or essay form.
- Lists: Lists are great for blog readers who need a quick takeaway, and they also encourage engagement.
- Reviews: Reviews are helpful for readers who are looking for specific products.
- Interviews and podcasts: Interviews and podcasts can be engaging and informative and are great for engaging with your audience.
Building a profitable independent blog business
Once you have built a successful blog, you can make the transition from blogging as a hobby to blogging as a business. There are many ways you can do this, including:
- Hire help: Once your blog is successful, you may want to hire help. You may want to hire someone to help with your content creation or with marketing your blog.
- Outsource services: If you want to grow your blog even faster, you may want to outsource services. You can outsource things like creating graphics or website design.
- Build an online course: A great way to make even more money from your blog is to create an online course. You can create a course that teaches readers about blogging and how to create their own blog.
- Create a brand: Once your blog is successful, it is time to grow your brand. You can do this by creating a website and social media accounts for your blog.